POLISH SAUERKRAUT AND APPLES
Polish Sauerkraut Ingredients:
- 1 lb. fresh or canned sauerkraut
- 1 lb. lean smoked Polish sausage
- 3 tart cooking apples, thickly sliced, peel if desired
- 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds; optional
- 3/4 c. apple juice or cider
1. Rinse sauerkraut and squeeze dry. Place half of the sauerkraut in a slow cooker.
2. Cut sausage into 2 inch lengths. Place in slow cooker.
3. Continue to layer in slow cooker, in order, apples, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and if desired, caraway seeds. Top with remaining sauerkraut. Add apple juice. DO NOT STIR.
4. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or on low for 6-7 hours or until apples are tender.
5. Stir before serving....enjoy the Polish sauerkraut !