POLISH SAUERKRAUT SOUP – KAPUSNIAK
- 14 oz (400g) sauerkraut
- 12 oz (350g) smoked Polish sausage, split lengthwise and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 5 oz (150g) smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 quarts (2 liters) water, or chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil, add onions and cook until they soften. Add carrots and cook for few more minutes. Add potatoes and water or broth. Bring to a boil.
Add the bacon and sausage to the frying pan and cook until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and caraway seeds and cook for a few more minutes. Add sauerkraut and simmer for 5-10 minutes more.
When the potatoes are almost done, add the bacon, sausage and sauerkraut mixture into the soup pot. Add bay leaf, thyme and season with salt and pepper. Return to boil and simmer or another 20-30 minutes until the cabbage is soft. Enjoy!